The Town of Smiths Falls Requires One (1) Full-Time
DEPUTY CHIEF BUILDING OFFICIAL/PLANS EXAMINER (40 HOURS PER WEEK)
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border. The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities.
Reporting to the Chief Building Official, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring compliance with provisions of the Ontario Building Code and all other relevant legislation and regulations while performing all aspects of a Building Official, including efficient delivery of building inspections and planning inspections from the initial enquiry, examination of drawings and issuance of permits, through to compliance inspections and record keeping.
To be considered for this position, you must have at least 3 years of municipal or construction experience or equivalent experience involving the Building Code and Building Code Act. Knowledge and understanding of the Ontario Building Code, the Ontario Building Code Act, Ontario Plumbing Code, Fire Code and applicable Municipal, Provincial and Federal laws is essential.
Additional qualifications include:
- Successful completion of the qualification examinations administered by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing including: Legal/Process, Small Buildings, Plumbing All Buildings, Building Services and Building Structural. Large Building would be considered an asset.
- Certified Building Code Official designation preferred.
- Computer skills in word processing and data management, preferably with Microsoft products and Geographical Information Systems.
- Ability to review and comment on planning and development related applications, read and interpret construction drawings.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class G Ontario Driver’s License along with a clean driver’s abstract and have access to a vehicle.
Critical thinking skills along with the ability to problem solve and work under pressure are essential. You will be required to provide excellent and efficient customer service, answer building code enquiries and assist with the completion of applications including over the counter review.
The successful applicant will be required to provide a Police Criminal Reference Check.
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.