PLANS EXAMINER, PLUMBING
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Plans and Permits, perform detailed plans review of various construction projects; including residential, commercial, institutional and industrial occupancies as well as standalone plumbing, with a focus on compliance with the plumbing and sewage system requirements of the Ontario Building Code and standards referenced therein.
· Liaise with design professionals; including architects, engineers, developers, contractors, owners and approval agencies, in the completion of plans review.
· Provide preliminary plan assessment; ensuring technical and administrative documentation meet standards and applicable law.
· Respond to requests and inquiries for technical and procedural information.
· Recommend corrective measures and alternatives for achieving compliance of plans and specifications that do not meet the applicable code requirements and standards.
· Liaise with Building Inspectors to resolve design issues with permit applications and on-site construction issues.
· Provide comment and input into the development of technical policies and procedures as required.
· Maintain current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and all standards referenced therein.
· Maintain permit tracking system to ensure project status is up to date.
· Prepare technical reports as required.
· Perform technical research as required to evaluate applications.
· Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
· High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two (2) years and up to three (3) years in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
· Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) years of experience related to the position duties outlined above.
· Within six (6) months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
• Legal Processes
• Plumbing – House
· Within 12 months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
• Plumbing – All Buildings
· Plumbing Certificate of Qualification preferred.
· Successful completion of Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing provincial qualification examinations for: On-site Sewage.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102727 by December 10, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
School of Apprenticeship and Skilled Trades
Part-time Teaching Opportunities
• Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic
• HVAC Technician
• Gas Technician
• Building Renovation – Carpentry
Location: Casa Loma Campus, 146 Kendal Ave, Toronto
Duration: Starting January 2017 for either 8 or 16 weeks duration (daytime in 8 a.m.–6 p.m. time slot Monday to Friday)
George Brown College is one of Ontario’s leading providers of apprenticeship and skilled trades training, helping students establish a rewarding career in a skilled trade. We provide essential in-school apprenticeship training students, as well as offer several post-secondary trades-related programs.
Our facilities are located in the heart of Toronto and easily accessible by public transit. The learning labs have current, industry-standard facilities and equipment that will provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to be workplace-ready.
• Must have Certificate of Qualification in appropriate trade. Must have at least five years industry related experience as a Journeyperson in their trade
• Teaching experience preferred
• Excellent communication and human relations skills and a commitment to diversity and equity are essential. Ability to work in an environment where a diversity of people and situations are encountered
• The ability to convey the conceptual and practical aspects of subjects to students, respecting their diverse backgrounds, experience and individual learning styles is also essential, as is the desire to contribute to the education of the next generation of apprentices
• Candidates must also be committed to working within a team environment and to participating in a consultative decision-making process
TO APPLY: Please submit your detailed résumé and cover letter to Requisition #152 at www.georgebrown.ca/employment
Brown College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Hiring Manager responsible for the recruitment for this position will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. We thank all applicants; however only applicants that are being considered will be contacted